Tuesday, July 8, 2008

encouragement

For the past several days, this word keeps coming into my head.  It presented itself twice this past weekend....I can't seem to escape it. So I figured maybe I should write about it.  

ENCOURAGEMENT

I had a great, relaxing weekend with a friend who refuels my soul every time we're together.  We have been friends for almost six years and I've learned so much from her since that great day in Colby Hall at TCU.  She's such an incredible encouragement to me and our conversations are always so enlightening.  She's a burst of sunshine on a rainy day and a good, hearty laugh when you need a smile.  Something about her makes me want to live life with a smile on my face at all times.  She's fervently seeking the Lord every single day and she knows how to encourage others to do the same. While she was still a student at TCU, we looked for a verse that we could call our own.  This was the result:  Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.  -Romans 12:12  This verse speaks volumes about our friendship.  I am in thanksgiving after a restful weekend for her presence in my life.

And what do you know....Sundays sermon was about encouragement.  The greek word is parakaleo which means: exhorting, comforting and encouraging; to admonish, teach or instruct; to come alongside someone, put your arm around them.  God calls us to encourage those who need encouragement in 1 Thessalonians:

We're to encourage each other to:
  • live in peace with one another
  • gently reprove the undisciplined
  • comfort the discouraged
  • care for the weak
  • patiently put up with the offenses of others
  • discourage payback for a wrong done
  • rejoice in spite of the circumstances.

Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. 
1 Thessalonians 5:11

I think it's important to ask God for a spirit of humility because without putting your pride aside, encouragement could have the opposite effect and be destructive to both you and those you are attempting to encourage.  

Be blessed... (and encouraged)....

No comments: