Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Family

I believe Desmond Tutu said it best:

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you as you are to them."

I just got back from a 55-hour whirlwind of a weekend with my family in Kansas City. I had been looking forward to this weekend long before I booked my plane ticket back in March. My precious grandma celebrated her 90th birthday with her family and closest friends and I was able to be there. For the first time ever, every single member of my extended family (41 people from 5 different states) was present for this momentous occasion. We laughed, cried, told stories, shared our corny jokes, etc. all weekend. I was reminded how precious the gift of family truly is. Whether it's mom, dad, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents or even friends--they always have a way of telling us how it is and loving us no matter what.

I think we often take our family for granted. I know I do! But being able to spend time with them gives me a taste of reality and reminds me that they're pretty cool people and I'm privleged enough to call them my family. No, my family isn't perfect...but who's is these days?

I know that my family will always be there and for that, I am truly thankful. Thank you Lord for the gift of family and everything that goes with it!

To us, family means putting your arms around each other and being there. ~Barbara Bush

No comments: